Also known as the Golden Gate, the ZolotiVorota is one of three similar gates which were originally built as part of the fortifications for the city in the year 1037 by Prince Yaroslav the Wise. Following the construction of the ZolotiVorota, which was simply called the Southern Gate, it served as the primary entrance into the city. The gate had to suffer excessive damage in 1240 when the Golden Horde of Batu Khan stormed the city and destroyed the structure from the inside. The remaining parts of the monument remained in use as the entrance to the city and for ceremonial purposes even though it fell into great disrepair with the passing of centuries. In 1832, ZolotiVorota was excavated by archaeologists and they restored as much as they possibly could.