It was built in the year 1521 by the famous explorer and later the governor of Puerto Rico Juan Ponce de Leon. It was the ancestral home of the Leon family for more than 250 years. This old house or villa is known as the oldest complexes which have continually been occupied from the time it was built. At first it was occupied by the family, then by the Spanish and later by the U.S. military commanders. Today it is preserved as a museum and an historic monument. The Alhambra styled courtyard is open for all and houses different fountains, statues, coat of arms and rooms adorned with antiques and artifacts which are from the 16th century.