Located on the east of the port of Nice this is an important building, attracting quite a good number of visitors. This prison was built mainly to reserve forced labour. It is known that between 1770 and 1854 this prison can accommodate more than two hundred convicts. The Hose of Savoy mainly decided to build this prison in the last quarter of the XVIII century. It was built to house a workforce that was close to the site of harbor basin excavation. This was also given the respect of a historical monument on 16th September 1943.