This is the remains of the Hoa Po prison which was nicknamed by the US POW’s, the Hanoi Hilton during the American War. Most of the exhibits show how the prison was used during the mid-1950 and focuses on the struggle of the Vietnamese for their freedom from the French. A ghastly relic here is the French guillotine which was used to behead the Vietnamese revolutionaries. Displays also show the American pilots who gave up their lives in the prison during the War including Senator John McCain. The prison was built in 1896 by the French with the intention to house 450 prisoners. However, records show that the number when up to 2000 in the 1930s.