Mosque of Al-Azhar is a mosque in Islamic Cairo. Its construction was commissioned by Fatimid Caliphate in 970. It was the first mosque established in Cairo. After its dedication in 972, mosque authorities of 35 scholars were hired in 989 and slowly it developed into the second oldest continuously run university in the world. Al-Azhar University has long been regarded as the primary institution in the Islamic world for teaching Sunni theology and Islamic law. The university, integrated within the mosque, being a part of a mosque school since its inception, was nationalized and officially designated as an independent university in the year 1961, after the Egyptian Revolution of 1952.
Djoser is best known for his innovative tomb, which dominates the Saqqara landscape. Imhotep, the architect was credited with the design and construction of the complex.