The first church in Grindelwald was built many centuries ago, somewhere in the middle of the 12th century. This wooden church stood its ground and was used by the faithful for years on end, until it was finally pulled to the ground to make way for a more permanent stone church, called the St. Mary's Church in 1180. The St. Mary’s Church however didn’t stand the test of time either and was replaced by the present church in 1793. The church building in Grindelwald is one of the most photographed monuments in the area, with snow-topped peaks in its background. Visitors here shouldn’t miss out on a chance to visit the village church in Grindelwald.