This synagogue was built in 1568 and then destroyed by the Portuguese in the year 1662. Two years later, the Dutch took over and rebuilt it. The pulpit is made of gold and is ornate. The floor is made of elaborate hand painted, willow patterned tiles from China. The chandeliers are from Belgium and are exquisite. It is topped by a beautiful clock tower.